Smith, Matthew Reed, Cpl

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
32 kb
View Time Line View Family Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary MOS
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
2004-2005, 0311, Regimental Combat Team 1 (RCT-1), 1st Marine Regiment
Service Years
2001 - 2005
Official/Unofficial USMC Certificates
Operation Iraqi Freedom



 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SSgt David Willis (Red Beard) to remember Marine Cpl Matthew Reed Smith (Smitty).

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
West Valley City
Last Address
Salt Lake City

Casualty Date
Jan 26, 2005
Non Hostile- Died Other Causes
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF)
Location of Interment
Salt Lake City Cemetery - Salt Lake City, Utah
Wall/Plot Coordinates

 Official Badges 

Green Belt

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
GWOT Fallen
  2005, GWOT Fallen

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Rifle Expert 2nd AwardPistol Sharpshooter

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  2001, Boot Camp (San Diego, CA), A/1034
 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regiment (1/3)USMC (United States Marine Corps)Regimental Combat Team 1 (RCT-1), 1st Marine Regiment
  2002-2005, 0311, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regiment (1/3)
  2003-2003, 0311, NCO Leadership School, Camp Hansen
  2004-2005, 0311, Regimental Combat Team 1 (RCT-1), 1st Marine Regiment
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  2002-2002 Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF)/OEF-Philippines
  2004-2005 OIF/Iraqi Governance (2004-05)
  2004-2004 OIF/Iraqi Governance (2004-05)/Operation Phantom Fury
  2006-2006 OEF-Afghanistan/Consolidation I (2001 - 2006)/Operation Mountain Lion
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Cpl. Matthew R. Smith was killed Jan. 26 when the CH-53E helicopter in which he was riding crashed near Rutbah, Iraq.  An investigation found that the crew of the CH-53E became disoriented when weather turned bad, did not realize the helicopter was banking to the left, and flew the aircraft into the ground.  Twenty-nine Marines and one sailor also were killed.

The Marines lost from BLT 1/3 in the helicopter crash were:
1st Lt. Travis J. Fuller, 26, a native of Granville, Mass.
1st Lt. Dustin M. Shumney, 30, a native of Viellejo, Calif.
Staff Sgt. Brian D. Bland, 26, from Westion, Wyo.
Sgt. Michael W. Finke Jr., 28, from Huron, Ohio
Cpl. Richard A. Gilbert Jr., 26, a native of Montgomery, Ohio
LCpl. Stephen P. Johnson, 24, from Covina, Calif.
Cpl. Timothy A. Knight, 22, a native of Brooklyn, Ohio
Cpl. Timothy M. Gibson, 23, from Hillsborough, N.H.
Cpl. Sean P. Kelly, 23, from Gloucester, N.J.
Cpl. Kyle J. Grimes, 21, a native of North Hampton, Penn.
Cpl. Nathaniel K. Moore, 22, from Champaign, Ill.
Cpl. James L. Moore, 24, a native of Roseburg, Ore.
Cpl. Nathan A. Schubert, 22, from Cherokee, Iowa
Cpl. Matthew R. Smith, 24, a native of West Valley, Utah
Petty Officer 3rd Class John D. House, 28, from Ventura, Calif.
LCpl. Brian C. Hopper 21, a native of Wynne, Ark.
LCpl. Jonathan E. Etterling, 22, from Wheelersburg, Ohio
LCpl. Fred L. Marciel, 20, a native of Spring, Texas
LCpl. Allan Klein, 34, from Clinton Township, Mich.
LCpl. Gael Saintvil, 24, a native of Orange, Fl.
LCpl. Mourad Ragimov, 20, from San Diego, Calif.
LCpl. Rhonald Rairdan, 20, a native of San Antonio, Texas
LCpl. Saeed Jafarkhani-turshizi, 25, from Fort Worth, Texas
LCpl Hector Ramos, 20, a native of Aurora, Ill.
LCpl. Darrell J. Schumann, 25, from Hampton, Va.
LCpl. Joseph P. Spence, 24, from Scotts Valley, Calif.
LCpl. Michael L. Starr Jr., 21, a native of Baltimore, Md.

Four Marines from HMM-361 also lost their lives;
Captain Paul Alaniz
Capt. Lyle Gordon
Staff Sgt. Dexter Kimble
LCpl. Tony Hernandez
Matthew Smith was born prematurely on Aug. 8, 1980, and was almost lost then.  But the doctors told his family that the little boy was a fighter.  He joined a brother, 2-year-old Spencer; two years later, Cory was born.  They were the Three Musketeers.  Matthew Smith attended Kearns High School, earned a diploma and joined the Marine Corps in 2001. He served in Japan, the Philippines and Korea before going to Iraq in October 2004.  The next month, he was in a battle in Fallujah.  There, his best friend he had met at boot camp lost an arm and a leg in the fierce fighting.  "It was one of the scariest times," said Cory Smith, 22.  Gary Smith said his son came close to harm with bullets whizzing by his head but survived - only to lose his life on a more peaceful assignment.  Matthew Smith planned to become a firefighter after his stint in the Marines ended in November.

Matt was the greatest friend and team leader a Marine could ever find.

Copyright Inc 2003-2011