Howard, John, SSgt

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
9 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Staff Sergeant
Last Primary MOS
6173-Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-53
Last MOSGroup
Aircraft Maintenance/Rotary Wing
Primary Unit
2004-2004, 6173, HMM-166
Service Years
1996 - 2004

Staff Sergeant

One Hash Mark


 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by MGySgt Jim Bennington (Benny) to remember Marine SSgt John Howard.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Aug 11, 2004
Hostile, Died of Wounds
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Location of Interment
Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington, Virginia
Wall/Plot Coordinates

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
GWOT Fallen
  2004, GWOT Fallen

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Combat Air Crew

 Unit Assignments
HMH-465 (Warhorse)11th MEUHMM-166
  2002-2004, 6173, HMH-465 (Warhorse)
  2004-2004, 6173, 11th MEU
  2004-2004, 6173, HMM-166
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  2004-2004 OIF/Transition of Iraq (2003-04)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
John R. Howard
Staff Sergeant, United States Marine Corps
Virginia State Flag
NEWS RELEASE from the United States Department of Defense
No. 782-04
August 16, 2004
Media Contact: Marine Corps Public Affairs - (703) 614-4309 Public/Industry Contact: (703)428-0711

DoD Identifies Marine Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Staff Sergeant John R. Howard, 26, of Covington, Virginia
Lance Corporal Tavon L. Hubbard, 24, of Reston, Virginia

Both Marines died August 11, 2004, in a helicopter crash in Al Anbar Province, Iraq.

Howard was assigned to Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 166 (Reinforced), 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California.

Hubbard was assigned to the Command Element, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California.

The incident is under investigation.

A helicopter crash in Iraq last week claimed the life of a Marine keeping alive a family tradition of military service, his brother said yesterday.

Staff Sergeant John R. Howard, 26, of Covington was one of two Marines from Virginia who died Wednesday in the crash in Al Anbar Province, the U.S. Department of Defense said. Also killed was Lance Corporal Tavon L. Hubbard, 24, of Reston.

Howard was a crew chief of a CH-53 helicopter assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 465 based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, a release from the base said.

Hubbard was assigned to I Marine Expeditionary Force at the Marine base in Camp Pendleton, California, the military said.

The crash was still under investigation, the military said yesterday.

Howard's mother, Kathryn Howard of Covington, told The Associated Press the helicopter was on a supply mission when it caught fire and went down with five Marines aboard.

Howard, the youngest of three brothers, entered the Marines right after graduating from Alleghany High School in 1996. He followed in the footsteps of his grandfather, James Ludington, who was also a Marine sergeant, said Howard's oldest brother, Alan Howard.

John Howard's father, Greg Howard, is a veteran of the U.S. Navy, and his brother Derek Howard serves in the Navy, Alan Howard said.

John Howard enjoyed hunting and fishing and spending time with wife, Amie, and his two stepchildren, Sean, 7, and Kaitlyn, 5.

He was passionate about his job, Alan Howard said. "He died doing exactly what he wanted to do: being a Marine and flying."

John Howard's latest tour as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom was his second. He was first deployed in the region from January until July 2003. He left for his second stint June 28, Alan Howard said.

He believed very strongly in the military operation there and returned to service in Iraq without reservations, Alan Howard said.

"He told us that not only did he have to go back there, he wanted to go," his brother said. "He wanted to be over there to help those people secure their freedom."

John Howard's parents were able to visit him in California in May. He last e-mailed his family Aug. 8 to let them know he was OK, but very busy. He told Alan Howard he loved him, his brother said.

DATE OF DEATH: 08/11/2004

Not Specified
Copyright Inc 2003-2011