Borawski, Walter Carl, TSgt

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
6 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Technical Sergeant
Last Primary MOS
0369-Infantry Unit Leader
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
1952-1953, 0369, G Co, 3rd Bn, 1st Marine Regiment (3/1)
Service Years
1942 - 1953

Technical Sergeant

Two Hash Marks


 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

Home State
New York
New York
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Pamela Jeans (Pam)-Historian to remember Marine TSgt Walter Carl Borawski.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
Jan 13, 1953
Hostile, Died
Gun, Small Arms Fire
Korea, North
Korean War
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Section B

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Korean War Fallen
  2016, Korean War Fallen

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Rifle SharpshooterPistol Marksman

 Unit Assignments
3rd Bn, 1st Marine Regiment  (3/1), 1st Marine Regiment
  1952-1953, 0369, G Co, 3rd Bn, 1st Marine Regiment (3/1)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1952-1952 Korean War/Korea, Summer-Fall 1952/Attack of Combat Outpost Frisco
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
 January 13, 1953, one platoon of the United States Marine Corps' Company G, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division raided forward from the main combat line against an enemy occupied hilltop. When the platoon leader was struck by enemy fire, the platoon sergeant, Technical Sergeant Walter C. Borawski, took command and continued to press the attack until he was knocked out by small arms

Bishop and Martyr Cemetery,
Wood Rd
Whitesboro, NY 13492
BORAWSKI, Walter C., T Sgt, USMC and
HENSLEY, Howard C., Jr., Sgt, USMC
13 January 1953

Participating in an assault on a strongly defended hill position far forward of the main line of resistance, T Sgt Borawski maneuvered the assault team under cover of darkness through intense enemy samll-arms and grenade fire to the objective. When his platoon commander was wounded by enemy fire, he immediately assumed command and proceeded to direct the annihilation of the enemy and destruction of the hostile positions. The leader of one his squads, Sgt Hensley, immediately rushed to the side of the stricken platoon officer, despite his own painful wounds, and called a corpsman forward. Borawski although critically wounded by an enmy grenade and suffering intense pain, continued to direct the Marines of the assaulting squads and shout words of encouragement, refusing evacuation. At this point, Hensley assumed command and directed the destruction of the enemy position. After deploying the remaining men in the platoon to cover the evacuation of the casualties which numbered 50% of the assaulting force, he searched the enemy positions to insure that all casualties were accounted for and removed to a safe area. Throughout the withdrawal, he maintained direct supervision of the rear guard that was covering the evacuation and engaged the enemy in sporadic fire fights for approximately three hours until all casualties had reached the main lines. Borawski, as a result of refusing evacuation until assured that the rest of the men had been cared for, succumbed to his wounds.

T Sgt Borawski was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

Sgt Hensley was also awarded the Navy Cross
Copyright Inc 2003-2011