Nolan, Michael Earl, Maj

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
10 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary MOS
0302-Infantry Officer
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
1946-1963, 0402, MarForRes
Service Years
1941 - 1963
Official/Unofficial USMC Certificates
Iwo Jima Certificate



 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Jean Nolan Krygelski-Family to remember Marine Maj Michael Earl Nolan.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Vancouver, Canada
Last Address
Tucson, Az

Date of Passing
Apr 06, 1991
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
United States Marine Raiders AssociationVeterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW)
  2011, United States Marine Raiders Association [Verified]
  2011, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW) [Verified]

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Served in Arizona National Guard, 158th Infantry Regiment Medical Detachment, 1928-1933. Ranked Private, Private First Class, Specialist Fourth Class, and Sergeant.
Lettered in varsity football at Tucson High School. Nicknamed "Tarzan." Selected to Conference All-Star, All-Southern Arizona, All-Arizona, and Yuma Sentinel All-State Teams.
Lettered in varsity track and field at THS. Won medals and set records at Greenway Track and Field Day, Southern Arizona Conference, Southwestern Regional, and Arizona State Meets. Named high-point man in five meets.
Lettered in varsity football at University of Arizona. Nicknamed "King Kong." Often named Outstanding Player on the Field. Selected to All-Border Conference, Arizona Daily Star All-Border Conference, Arizona Wildcat All-Border Conference, and Phoenix Gazette All-Border Conference Teams.
Named to Associated Press All-America Football Team -- Honorable Mention, 1936, the first player from Arizona to be selected.
Named to Liberty magazine All-Players All-America Team, 1936.
Lettered in varsity track and field at U of A, competing in shot put, discus, javelin, and high jump. Won medals and set records at Greenway Track and Field Day, Border Conference, and Arizona/San Diego Dual Meets. One javelin record stood for 32 years. Named Outstanding Athlete and High-Point AAU Athlete.
Scored first place in shot put and second in discus at Peruvian national track and field meet in 1957, at the age of 46.
Won U of A Intramural and Southwestern Amateur Athletic Union heavyweight boxing championships and U of A Intramural heavyweight wrestling championship.
Won Arizona Golden Gloves heavyweight boxing championship by first-round knockout, 1937.
Played professional football with NFL Chicago Cardinals, 1937-1938, the first player from U of A to go pro. Named All-Pro Honorable Mention.
Worked as a sparring partner in Livermore, California, for boxer Max Baer, one-time Heavyweight Champion of the World.
Boxed professionally through 1940, including bouts in Arizona, Nevada, Texas, California, and Oregon. Dubbed "Arizona's Heavyweight Sensation - 47." Managed by Frank Paccassi.
Elected to Tucson High School Athletic Hall of Fame, 1996; University of Arizona Sports Hall of Fame, 1996; Pima County Sports Hall of Fame, 1998; All-Time Arizona Honor Grid Team, 1949; All-Time Rocky Mountain-Southwest Football Team, 1969; Modern All-Stars U of A Football Team, 1969; All-Time University of Arizona 11 Best Players, 1985; Top 50 UA Football Players of All Time, 2013.
Enlisted in United States Marine Corps January 16, 1941. Served in active duty through January 22, 1946, rising from Private to Captain during the war with military specialties of Infantry Officer and Amphibian Truck Officer, and retiring a Major.
Nicknamed "Big Mike," "Iron Mike," and "Saddle Up Mike."
Entered boot camp -- 3rd Platoon, 3rd Recruit Battalion, Marine Corps Base, San Diego California.
3/15-6/20/41 -- Served in Base Service Company, Base Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base, San Diego, California.
5/14/41 -- Promoted to Private First Class.
6/20/41 -- Joined 2nd Defense Battalion, Battery H, Machine Gun Group.
1/21/42 -- Deployed to American Samoa, wartime expeditionary force.
2/4/42 -- Promoted to Corporal. Served as Rifle Squad Leader.
4/1/42 -- Joined 8th Defense Battalion, Special Weapons Group.
5/27/42 -- Participated in the Landing and Occupaton of Wallis Island.
Received a temporary transfer to 1st Marine Division (Reinforced) for Solomon Islands Guadalcanal-Tulagi Invasion.
8/12/42 -- Commissioned a Second Lieutenant on the battlefield at Guadalcanal.
9/20/42-1/31/44 -- Volunteered for and served with 3rd Marine Raiders Battalion.
9/20/42 -- Joined Company D, 2nd Platoon, Rifle Platoon Leader.
12/31/42 -- Promoted to Lieutenant, Company Officer.
2/21-3/21/43 -- Participated in Landing and Occupation of Pavuvu, Russell Group.
5/1/43 -- Assigned to Company M, Company Officer.
7/15/43 -- Assigned to Company K, Company Officer.
11/1/43-1/12/44 -- Participated in Assault on Puruata Island, Seizure and Occupation of Bougainville, including Battle for Piva Trail.
1/31/44 -- Promoted to Captain.
2/1/44 -- Joined 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Battalion, Company K Commanding Officer.
3/20-4/11/44 -- Participated in Occupation and Defense of Emirau, Mussau Islands.
6/16/44 -- Joined 5th Marine Division, 27th Regiment, 3rd Battalion, Company G Commanding Officer.
9/14/44 -- Joined 5th Division, 27th Regiment, Headquarters & Service Company, Weapons Company Commanding Officer.
10/25/44 -- Joined 5th Division, 5th Motor Transport Battalion, 5th Amphibian Truck Company Commanding Officer.
2/19-3/22/45 -- Commanded the battalion-sized 5th Amphibian Truck Company in the Assault and Capture of Iwo Jima, Volcanic Islands.
9/23-10/25/45 -- Participated in Occupation of Japan, Landing at Sasebo, Kyushu.
11/9/45 -- Joined Headquarters Battalion, Headquarters Company, Department of Pacific, San Francisco, California.
Served 44 months of foreign and sea service.
Wounded in battle multiple times, including gunshot wound to the leg, shrapnel in the shoulder, injuries to his hands, and hearing problems due to a nearby exploding mortar.
Served postwar in Reserve and Ready Reserve, with military occupational specialty of Engineer Officer.
Completed active duty Cold Weather Training, January 11-23, 1952.
Named Executive Officer, 3rd Supply Company, Tucson Reserve and served as member of Volunteeer Trainng Unit (Guided Missile).
Attained rank of Major on June 28, 1952.
Became a member of the Retired Reserve on July 1, 1963, and retired from USMC on January 1, 1971.
On November 20, 1998, inducted into Marine Corps Mustang Association, honoring officers rising from the enlisted ranks.
During 1930s and 1940s, employed as construction worker and foreman in residential and commercial building; heavy equipment operator; special patrolman, Tucson Police Department; welder, steel structural designer, and superintendent for steel building company; firefighter and driver, Tucson Fire Department, 1946-1951. Held contractor's license in cast stone, ornamental plaster, concrete, and cement.
Returned to the University of Arizona in 1951, and earned Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering in 1955.
Employed as engineer, Silverbell mining project, Arizona, 1955-1957; engineer, Toquepala copper mine, Peru, 1957-1958; forest engineer, United States Forest Service, Coronado National Forest, 1959-1975, in charge of engineering design, construction, and maintenance in the 1,875,000-acre forest.
After retirement from USFS, wrote seven novels.
Married Nellie Ahee, 1946. The couple had one daughter, three grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.
Other Comments:
The family is grateful to Corporal Roger Rape for creating a Military Service Page on Together We Served in 2011, to remember Major Michael Earl Nolan.

Grabbing the Brass Ring & An Extraordinary Life, a novel written by Michael Earl Nolan, plus the compiled biography of his life, was published by Starsys Publishing Company in 2014.
 Photo Album   (More...

Korean War
Start Year
End Year

The Korean War; 25 June 1950 – 27 July 1953) began when North Korea invaded South Korea. The United Nations, with the United States as the principal force, came to the aid of South Korea. China came to the aid of North Korea, and the Soviet Union gave some assistance.

Korea was ruled by Japan from 1910 until the closing days of World War II. In August 1945, the Soviet Union declared war on Japan, as a result of an agreement with the United States, and liberated Korea north of the 38th parallel. U.S. forces subsequently moved into the south. By 1948, as a product of the Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States, Korea was split into two regions, with separate governments. Both governments claimed to be the legitimate government of all of Korea, and neither side accepted the border as permanent. The conflict escalated into open warfare when North Korean forces—supported by the Soviet Union and China—moved into the south on 25 June 1950. On that day, the United Nations Security Council recognized this North Korean act as invasion and called for an immediate ceasefire. On 27 June, the Security Council adopted S/RES/83: Complaint of aggression upon the Republic of Korea and decided the formation and dispatch of the UN Forces in Korea. Twenty-one countries of the United Nations eventually contributed to the UN force, with the United States providing 88% of the UN's military personnel.

After the first two months of the conflict, South Korean forces were on the point of defeat, forced back to the Pusan Perimeter. In September 1950, an amphibious UN counter-offensive was launched at Inchon, and cut off many of the North Korean troops. Those that escaped envelopment and capture were rapidly forced back north all the way to the border with China at the Yalu River, or into the mountainous interior. At this point, in October 1950, Chinese forces crossed the Yalu and entered the war. Chinese intervention triggered a retreat of UN forces which continued until mid-1951.

After these reversals of fortune, which saw Seoul change hands four times, the last two years of conflict became a war of attrition, with the front line close to the 38th parallel. The war in the air, however, was never a stalemate. North Korea was subject to a massive bombing campaign. Jet fighters confronted each other in air-to-air combat for the first time in history, and Soviet pilots covertly flew in defense of their communist allies.

The fighting ended on 27 July 1953, when an armistice was signed. The agreement created the Korean Demilitarized Zone to separate North and South Korea, and allowed the return of prisoners. However, no peace treaty has been signed, and the two Koreas are technically still at war. Periodic clashes, many of which are deadly, have continued to the present.
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Feb 6, 2017
Personal Memories
My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  6857 Also There at This Battle:
  • Abel, Daniel, Sgt, (1952-1955)
  • Adams, Betty June, Sgt, (1943-1955)
  • Adams, Herman Chester, MSgt, (1937-1958)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011