Abadie, John Arthur, Cpl

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
1943-1943, 0311, B Co, 1st Bn, 2nd Marine Regiment (1/2)
Service Years
1942 - 1943
Official/Unofficial USMC Certificates
Golden Dragon Certificate
Shellback Certificate



 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Sgt Edson Franklin Bellis to remember Marine Cpl John Arthur Abadie.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
New Orleans
Last Address
2114 Chartres St.
New Orleans, La

Casualty Date
Nov 21, 1943
Hostile, Died
Gun, Small Arms Fire
Not Specified
Location of Interment
Saint Roch Cemetery #2 - New Orleans, Louisiana
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Sq B, St. Mary Walk, Tomb 2

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

Order of the Golden Dragon Shellback 2nd Division Medal

 Military Association Memberships
World War II Fallen
  1943, World War II Fallen

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Rifle Sharpshooter (Pre 1959)USMC Basic Qualification Badge

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1942, Boot Camp (San Diego, CA)
 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
Infantry Training School(s) West1st Bn, 2nd Marine Regiment (1/2), 2nd Marine Regiment
  1943-1943, 0311, ITR San Raphael, CA, 2nd Infantry Training Regiment (Cadre)
  1943-1943, 0311, B Co, 1st Bn, 2nd Marine Regiment (1/2)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1943-1943 Gilbert Islands Operation (1943)/Battle of Tarawa
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Tarawa (Gilbert Islands, Kiribati) - November 20 to November 23, 1943 Tarawa atoll is located approximately 2,500 miles southwest of Hawaii. It consists of a series of coral islands that stretch through the ocean in a hook like fashion. The military importance of Tarawa lay in its strategic location as the gateway of the drive through the central Pacific. The largest of Tarawa's islands is Betio measuring less than 3 miles in length and 1/2 mile in width. The Japanese built an airstrip defended by 3,636 troops in pillboxes and bunkers connected by tunnels and defended by wire and mines. The task of dislodging this force fell to the Marines. The landings began on November 20 and immediately ran into trouble. Coming in at low tide, the landing crafts were forced to drop their men far from shore. Wading through waist deep water over razor sharp coral, many were killed or wounded by enemy gunfire yards from the beach. Those who made it ashore huddled behind the seawall, trapped by the sea behind and the Japanese to the front. The next morning, reinforcements made the same perilous journey bringing with them tanks and artillery. By the end of the day the Marines were able to break out from the beach to the inland. The fierce combat continued for another two days. Of the 3,636 Japanese, only 1 officer and 16 enlisted men surrendered. Of the 1,200 Korean laborers brought to Tarawa to construct the defenses, only 129 survived. All told, 4,690 of the island's defenders were killed. The 2nd Marine Division suffered 894 killed in action, while an additional 84 of the wounded survivors later succumbed to their wounds. A further 2,188 men were wounded in the battle. Of the roughly 12,000 2nd Marine Division marines on Tarawa, 3,166 men became casualties. Nearly all of these casualties were suffered in the 76 hours between the landing at 0910 20 November and the island being declared secure at 1330 23 November. The Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC), investigated the cases of American servicemen who remain unaccounted for from the Battle of Tarawa, including 103 who are buried as "Unknown" in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu. It is a tiny island; its main feature was a small airstrip that ran down its middle, almost from one beach to the other. Marines commented that, in most places on the island, a pitcher with a good arm could throw a baseball from one side to the other. Rather than one big cemetery, the Americans buried their dead in several smaller cemeteries where space and convenience permitted. They were marked as well as possible, understood to be temporary. When graves registration teams arrived after the war, they found an enormous mess and very few remains. The small cemeteries had been moved during the war to accommodate the expanding base and while the main cemetery had been spruced up, in advance of a visit from a LIFE magazine photographer, headstones often did not line up with graves or, indeed, follow the lines of burial at all. Many of the bodies had no identification, and identifying features were long gone. By the time the graves registration teams called it quits, they had repatriated a few score remains, returned a few dozen as unknown and left hundreds behind as simply unrecoverable.

ABADIE, John August, CPL, 477751, USMCR. Mother, Mrs. Conchetta R. Abadie, 2114 Chartres St., New Orleans, La. Serving CoB, 1stBn, 2ndMar, 2ndMarDiv, FMF, Gilbert Is, killed in action November 20, 1943, buried Saint Roch Cemetery, New Orleans, La

Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011