Abbott, Myron Lane, Sgt

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
92 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary MOS
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
1943-Present, 0311, MIA - WWII
Service Years
1941 - 1943
Official/Unofficial USMC Certificates
Golden Dragon Certificate
Shellback Certificate



 Current Photo 
 Personal Details 

122 kb

State of Birth
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by MGySgt Scott Welch-Deceased to remember Marine Sgt Myron Lane Abbott.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

Order of the Golden Dragon Shellback

 Military Association Memberships
World War II FallenWW II Memorial National RegistryThe National Gold Star Family Registry
  1943, World War II Fallen
  2014, WW II Memorial National Registry
  2014, The National Gold Star Family Registry

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
November 21, 1943 (2nd day of The Battle of Tarawa
With the Marines holding a thin line on the island, the focus of the second day was for the forces on Red Beach 2 and 3 to push inward and divide the Japanese defenders into two sections, expanding the bulge near the airfield until it reached the southern shore.  Those forces on Red 1 were directed to secure Green beach for the landing of reinforcements.  Green beach made up the entire western end of the island.  The effort to take Green Beach initially met with heavy resistance.  Naval gunfire was called in to reduce the pill boxes and gun emplacements barring the way.  Inching their way forward, artillery spotters were able to direct naval gunfire directly upon the machine gun posts and remaining strong points.  With the major obstacles reduced, the Marines were able to take the positions in about an hour of combat with relatively few losses. Operations along Red 2 and Red 3 were considerably more difficult.  During the night the defenders had set up several new machine gun posts between the closest approach of the forces from the two beaches, and fire from those machine gun nests cut off the American forces from each other for some time.  By noon the U.S. forces had brought up their own heavy machine guns, and the Japanese posts were put out of action.  By the early afternoon they had crossed the airstrip and had occupied abandoned defensive works on the south side.  Around 12:30 a message arrived that some of the defenders were making their way across the sandbars from the extreme eastern end of the islet to Bairiki, the next islet over.  Portions of the 6th Marine Regiment were then ordered to land on Bairiki to seal off the retreat path.  They formed up, including tanks and pack artillery, and were able to start their landings at 16:55.  They received machine gun fire, so aircraft were sent in to try to locate the guns and suppress them.  The force landed with no further fire, and it was later found that only a single pillbox with 12 machine guns had been set up by the forces that had been assumed to be escaping.  They had a small tank of gasoline in their pillbox, and when it was hit with fire from the aircraft the entire force was burned.  Later, other units of the 6th were landed unopposed on Green Beach, north (near Red Beach 1).  By the end of the day, the entire western end of the island was in U.S. control, as well as a fairly continuous line between Red 2 and Red 3 around the airfield aprons.  A separate group had moved across the airfield and set up a perimeter on the southern side, up against Black 2.  The groups were not in contact with each other, with a gap of over 500 yards between the forces at Red 1/Green and Red 2, and the lines on the northern side inland from Red 2/Red 3 were not continuous.  The Battle of Tarawa was the first American offensive in the critical central Pacific region.  It was also the first time in the war that the United States faced serious Japanese opposition to an amphibious landing.  Previous landings met little or no initial resistance, but this time the 4,500 Japanese defenders were well-supplied and well-prepared, and they fought almost to the last man, exacting a heavy toll on the United States Marine Corps.  The US had suffered similar casualties in other campaigns, for example over the six months of the Guadalcanal Campaign, but in this case the losses were incurred within the space of 76 hours.  Over a hundred of the Americans were never repatriated. 
Other Comments:
Body Not Recovered

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Rifle Expert (Pre 1959)

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
1st Bn, 2nd Marine Regiment (1/2), 2nd Marine RegimentMissing In Action
  1941-1943, 0311, C Co, 1st Bn, 2nd Marine Regiment (1/2)
  1943-Present, 0311, MIA - WWII
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1942-1942 Guadalcanal Campaign (1942-43)/Battle of Tulagi (including First Savo) 1
  1942-1943 World War II/Asiatic-Pacific Theater/Guadalcanal Campaign (1942-43)
  1943-1943 Gilbert Islands Operation (1943)/Battle of Tarawa
 Other News, Events and Photographs
  Body not Repatriated
  Mar 03, 1941, Service entry date
  Aug 09, 2014, General Photos6
Copyright Inc 2003-2011