Agee, Clyde E, Sgt

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary MOS
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
1944-1945, 0311, A Co, 1st Bn, 27th Marine Regiment (1/27)
Service Years
1941 - 1945



 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by GySgt John Rush (MTWS Asst Chief Admin) to remember Marine Sgt Clyde E Agee.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
Feb 19, 1945
Hostile, Died
Unknown, Not Reported
Not Specified
Location of Interment
Corona Sunnyslope Cemetery - Corona, California
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Military Order of the Purple HeartWorld War II FallenWW II Memorial National Registry
  1945, Military Order of the Purple Heart [Verified]
  1945, World War II Fallen
  2015, WW II Memorial National Registry

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar
Basic Parachutist
Rifle Sharpshooter (Pre 1959)USMC Basic Qualification Badge

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1941, Boot Camp (San Diego, CA)
 Unit Assignments
2nd Engineer Bn1st Parachute Regiment1st Bn, 27th Marine Regiment (1/27), 27th Marine Regiment
  1942-1942, 1300, 2nd Engineer Bn
  1942-1944, 0311, 2nd Parachute Bn, 1st Parachute Regiment
  1944-1945, 0311, A Co, 1st Bn, 27th Marine Regiment (1/27)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1942-1942 Guadalcanal Campaign (1942-43)/Battle of Edson's Bloody Ridge
  1943-1943 Northern Solomon Islands Campaign (1943-44)/Raid on Choiseul
  1943-1944 Northern Solomon Islands Campaign (1943-44)/Battle of Bougainville
  1945-1945 Western Pacific Campaign (1944-45)/Battle of Iwo Jima
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
1st Marine Parachute Battalion
The first mission for the new paramarines was an amphipious assault on the islets of Gavutu and Tanambogo north of Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. With 8 small infantry platoons, a total of 361 marines, the paramarines had a tough mission. The coral reef surrounding the islets only compounded the problem. After a pre-dawn bombardment on 7 August 1942 Company A of the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion landed on Gavutu in Higgins boat against little opposition. B & C Companies were not as fortunate and had to land under heavy fire. Bitter fighting ensued for the next two days until they secured their objective, Hill 148. The units 20 percent casualty rate was the highest of any unit fighting to secure a foothold on Guadalcanal. Because of the battalions depleted manpower, the unit was attached to Edson's Raider Battalion by General Vandegrift at the end of August on Tulagi.On September 8th the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion and the 1st Raider Battalion landed on Guadalcanal under cover of darkness and conducted a raid against Japanese positions near the village of Tasimboko. After this highly successful raid the Marine parachute battalion remained on Guadalcanal occupying defensive positions atop Lunga Ridge. It later became known as Edson's Ridge because of the success of Edson's 1st Raider Battalion and the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion against repeated ferocious banzai attacks by the Japanese in their attempt to recapture Henderson Field. The two-day battle on the ridge had cost the 1st Marine Raiders 135 men and the 1st Parachute Battalion 128. Of those totals, 59 were dead or missing, including 15 parachutists killed in action. Many of the wounded parachutists would eventually return to duty, but for the moment the battalion was down to about the size of a small rifle company. With their ranks further depleted from the ferocious combat on Edson's Ridge, the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion was relieved by the 7th Marines and withdrawn to New Caledonia outside the town of Noumea at Camp Kiser.
Scheduled to jump on the heavily defended Japanese airfields of Kahili and Kara on Bougainville, the American planners cancelled the jump for fear of heavy casualties. Instead, they chose diversionary attacks on the island of Choiseul, 30 miles east of Bougainville. The 2nd Parachute Battalion was selected for this operation under the command of Lt Colonel Victor H Krulak. For the next month the 2nd Parachute Battalion raided Japanese positions on the island. Meanwhile, on November 23rd the 1st Parachute Battalion now commanded by Major Richard Fagan was attached to the 2nd Raider Regiment and conducted raids on Japanese supply bases along Bougainville's coast. On December 3rd, the 3rd Parachute Battalion along with the rest of the 1st Parachute Regiment landed on Bougainville and attached to the 3rd Marine Division. The regiment fought as regular infantry until January 11, 1944 when it was relieved by the Army's 132nd Infantry Regiment. While participating in several bloody actions during the course of the war, they were utilized as infantry and there were no Marine parachute combat jumps during W.W.II. Eventually, the need for a parachute corps in the Marines was questioned. The fact that Marines were generally assigned to attack small heavily defended islands which were not suitable for para type operation, the lack of transport aircraft required for a massed parachute drop and the cost led the Commandant to order the 1st Marine Parachute Regiment to be disbanded on December 30, 1943. It officially ceased to exist on February 29, 1944.
Not Specified
Copyright Inc 2003-2011