Pliler, Larry Dean, Sgt

 Service Photo 
 Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary MOS
Last MOSGroup
Primary Unit
1968-1968, 0311, 1st Marine Division, I MEF
Service Years
1965 - 1968



 Last Photo 
 Personal Details 

17 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Sgt David A. Stutesman to remember Marine Sgt Larry Dean Pliler.

If you knew or served with this Marine and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
May 31, 1968
Hostile, Died
Multiple Fragmentation Wounds
Quang Tri (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Holden Cemetery - Holden, Missouri
Wall/Plot Coordinates
62W 015

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments
1st Bn, 1st Marine Regiment  (1/1), 1st Marine Regiment1st Marine Regiment1st Marine Division, I MEF
  1968-1968, 0311, B Co, 1st Bn, 1st Marine Regiment (1/1)
  1968-1968, 0311, 1st Marine Regiment
  1968-1968, 0311, 1st Marine Division, I MEF
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1963-1973 Vietnam War
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Tet Counteroffensive Campaign (1968)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Tet Counteroffensive Campaign (1968)/Battle of Khe Sanh
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase IV Campaign (1968)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Note from The Virtual Wall

At the end of May 1968 the 1st Bn, 1st Marines was preparing to be withdrawn from the Khe Sanh area, while 2nd Bn, 3rd Marines were conducting road clearance and security patrols along Highway 9 south of the combat base. On the night of 29/30 May Echo 2/3's night defensive position was attacked, and during the following day the company's patrols had several contacts. The 1/1 Marines were directed to detach a company to assist 2/3; Bravo 1/1 was selected for the mission.
On 31 May Echo 2/3 encountered a large entrenched NVA unit and Bravo 1/1 was directed to move to reinforce Echo 2/3. NVA practice was to establish ambushes along likely routes for reinforcements, and they did so on this occasion - Bravo 1/1 found themselves in a sharp fight with NVA troops dug in along the road. Instead of a single fight with two companies of Marines up against the original foe, there were two engagements separated by several hundred meters of jungle. The weight of US supporting arms gradually worn down both NVA elements, which withdrew toward the Laotian border several kilometers to the west. By the time the fighting stopped, the Marines had lost 25 men and had a considerable number of wounded. The dead were

B Co, 1st Bn, 1st Marines
Sgt Larry D. Pliler, Joplin, MO
Cpl Samuel Williams, Tampa, FL
LCpl Robert C. Allen, Reno, NV
LCpl Eric V. Dickson, Woodland Park, CO
LCpl Ralph Ferguson, Jackson, OH
LCpl Peter J. Kaulback, Webster, NY
LCpl Harry T. Moore, Chicago, IL
LCpl Charles L. Morgan, Rock Hill, SC
LCpl Donald R. Trantham, Santa Clara, CA
Pfc Henry J. Boye, Pine Hill, NJ
Pfc Leroy C. Haller, Birdsboro, PA
Pfc Wayman D. Morris, War, WV

E Co, 2nd Bn, 3rd Marines
Cpl Harold D. Gore, Houston, MS
LCpl William G. Gifford, Phoenix, AZ
LCpl Gary M. Martorella, Bayonne, NJ
LCpl James E. West, Norfolk, VA
Pfc Haydn Evans, Roselle, NJ
Pfc Ruzell Gray, Crockett, TX (Silver Star)
Pfc Squire N. Mayberry, Dayton, OH

G Co, 2nd Bn, 3rd Marines
Cpl Douglas M. Rogers, Newark, NJ

H&S Co, 2nd Bn, 3rd Marines (with Echo 2/3)
Sgt George M. Ramos, San Francisco, CA
Cpl Norman E. Hicks, Baltimore, MD
Cpl Steven I. Olney, Lansing, MI
LCpl Harrell W. Johnson, Roseboro, NC
LCpl Robert L. Smith, Monroe, MI

There was one more casualty, although it wasn't immediately recognized.

Lance Corporal Charles H. Gatewood, Bravo 1/1, from Chicago, Illinois, had been shot. He was immediately treated by a Corpsman, was directed to move back to a helo landing zone about 100 meters to the rear for evacuation, and was seen moving under his own power in that direction. It wasn't until several days later, when Bravo 1/1 was detached from duty with the 2/3 Marines and returned to their own battalion, that it was realized that no medical facility had reported receiving LCpl Gatewood for treatment. The two battlefields had been thoroughly swept beginning on 01 June and all known dead and wounded had been recovered; although no-one was looking for Gatewood specifically - after all, he had been wounded and evacuated - he had not been found during the sweeps. Simply stated, he had disappeared. Gatewood was classed as Missing in Action and was carried in that status until 23 Sep 1975, when the Secretary of the Navy approved a Presumptive Finding of Death. His remains have not been repatriated.

Buried at Howell Valley Cemetery in West Plains, MO.

Vietnam Wall Panel coords 62W 015
Serial Number 2146020
Start of Tour 1968-03-28
Copyright Inc 2003-2011